Search This Blog

Friday 21 June 2024

Costochondritis, Physiotherapy, and New Medication

It's been quite a while - so here's a little update: 

Since we figured out why I have a bit of double vision (Dragged Fovea Diplopia Syndrome), which is because of my Macular Degeneration, it's weighed on me less. The transition from reading physical books to listening to audiobooks was quicker than I had anticipated, but it has been fairly seamless. I have not driven at night since the double vision started. 

In February I started having some pain around my ribs. At first I was really hoping it was an injury - that I pulled the intercostal muscles - but was aware of it and monitoring it. I've pulled those muscles a lot in my life, so it was plausible. If I'm being honest with myself, it felt off. It felt different, and it was all the way around, like all of my ribs suddenly decided to start complaining simultaneously. The muscles were definitely tight, but nothing had happened for there to be an injury. After two months, giving myself time to heal if it was an injury, I mentioned the pain to my doctor. He suggested some physiotherapy in case it was muscle related, but to let him know if the pain persisted. So I went to physio a few times to see if there was any lasting improvement. 
After another month and a half, there wasn't any improvement. 
I had an appointment scheduled with my Rheumatologist anyways, so when I saw her, I brought it up. She did a physical exam... She said it was immediately clear that there was inflammation of the cartilage. It's something called Costochondritis. Essentially, the little joints that connect the cartilage to the ribs and to the sternum become inflamed, and that inflammation causes a lot of pain. Apparently, about 70% of patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis experience chronic Costochondritis. 
The good news is that it is not malicious. It doesn't cause deterioration or any damage, it just hurts. Quite a bit. It does ease my nerves to know that nothing worse is happening in there - only pain. 

The other update is that I have been going to vestibular physiotherapy - although it's evolved into only physiotherapy. It turns out that my inner ear is working marvelously at the moment, so she is trying to figure out if there's a physical reason why I am having dizzy spells. We're working mostly on the neck and back muscles, although it could be migraine related, or it could be simply related to the double vision, or maybe the hearing loss in my left ear just throwing my brain off balance because I'm not getting equal auditory information....? Who knows? 

Speaking of the auditory symptoms - I have an apointment to take a look at a hearing aid for my left ear. My right ear doesn't *seem* to have any significant hearing loss, although I do have some tinnitus in that ear now as well. So I'll take a look at what's available and if it will help. I still haven't heard about any appointment with an ENT, but I'm hopeful I'll see him in the autumn. I'm also due for another CT scan of my ears. 

I have also started a new medication for my HAE. I was excessively nervous about this, because it is a pill that would replace my injections. The last time I was removed off of my injections, it spiralled me into the Year of Potatoes, severe swelling episodes, not to mention my other illnesses deciding to make surprise appearances. So trying a brand new medication and weaning off of those injections was really daunting. However, I was hopeful. 
Well, I've now been entirely off of the injections for over 2 weeks now, and the pill does seem to be working! I'm still able to eat most foods, my Crohn's hasn't protested, the swelling episodes have been mild and infrequent, and I feel less nervous in general about certain activities and outings. Time will tell, but I'm really impressed. I'm also impressed by the fact that I am not currently allergic or intolerant to the medication. Even that is a win in and of itself! 

As always, lots going on, but some good news too! 

The double vision won't improve, unless it improves as my actual vision worsens. The dizzy spells may also not improve, but they are manageable. The rib pain is likely a new thing that may do the chronic-illness rollercoaster routine, essentially the pain is a new normal, though it's nice to know that it shouldn't cause any damage. The new medication seems to be a very positive change. If I get a hearing aid, that will improve my ability to hear, so I consider it a positive change (though potentially expensive). 

Still smiling though! 





No comments:

Post a Comment