Search This Blog

Monday 2 October 2023

How Many Things Can Be Wrong in One Set of Eyes?

Oh my eyes. 
I love my eyes... well, I love the look of my eyes. They have been arguably my best feature. 
Underneath, however, my eyes are problematic. 

I have this eye disease - with no consensus on a diagnosis. Some ophthalmologists believe it is a rare early onset of Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Others believe it is a rare recessive form of Familial Drusen. There's a possibility of a genetic factor, there is a possibility of a complement series factor, but either way, we all agree that my eyes are not what they should be. They're behaving like the eyes of an elderly individual - filled with drusen and, more recently, Geographic Atrophy. 

Along with the strange eye disease, these eyes also include a more common issue: Astigmatism in both eyes. 

I happened to see my Optometrist today, with a couple of new symptoms. It turns out that I have some Vertical Phoria - which is causing some double vision and problems with visual focus. 
Essentially my eyes are out of alignment - so one eye is pulling the visual image up, the other is pulling the visual image down, so when my eyes are open, I'm getting two images on top of each other. 
I'm all googly-eyed. 

So I needed new glasses today. 
My lenses have to have my correct prescription, of course, (which is about -5 in both eyes), be corrected for Astigmatism, and they have to be these new Prism lenses to correct the googly-ness. Unfortunately, nothing can help the symptoms from the macular degeneration-type disease, but I do get transitions lenses so that I don't have to wear massive sunglasses on top of my glasses. 

It's amazing how many things can be weird, or off, or wrong, or problematic, in one set of eyes.  Eyes that are in their thirties. 






No comments:

Post a Comment