Search This Blog

Thursday 18 July 2024

I Like Good News

Recently we found out that I have inflammation in the cartilage of my ribs - including in the joints connecting the ribs to the sternum as well as the ribs connecting to the spine. 
Yes this is super painful. 
No, there's not much that can be done about it, but we have a plan for potential treatment in the fall that may ease the pain and reduce the inflammation. 
This is, however, really common in patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis and is going to be an ongoing, chronic, issue. 

With the history of AS, there is always a chance that the ribs could start fusing to the spine. With the level of pain that I am feeling, we wanted to make sure that there's no sign of fusion starting at this point, so I had x-rays done today. 
It's good news!!! 
There is no sign of fusion or rib abnormality (imaging cannot identify the inflammation). So there is no fusion, no visible joint or bone deterioration, just incredibly painful cartilage inflammation. 

I like good news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment