Search This Blog

Monday 12 August 2024

Hearing Aid

It's been two weeks with my new hearing aid for my left ear. 

I have moderate to moderately severe hearing loss in my left ear, presumed to be from a disease called Otosclerosis. 

The first day with the hearing aid was incredibly overwhelming. I needed a break for a bit, and had to turn the volume down. The next few days were really interesting. I noticed that when I take my hearing aid out at the end of the day, it feels like a lightswitch on my left ear. Trying to get used to the sound of my own voice has been strange as well, along with some of the robotic sounds, especially whistles and higher tones. After the first few days, I was able to turn the volume to the preset level, my headaches reduced, and my brain has adapted to certain noise sounding a bit different. 

It has been SO nice to hear almost normally out of that ear again. Catching sounds I haven't heard in months, not having to always ask 'what?', feeling less off-balance from the hearing differences. 

The hearing aid I went with was the Phonak Audéo L50-R. I went with it because it's rechargeable, so I don't have to worry about small batteries all of the time (especially with my deteriorating eyesight), and it's a behind-the-ear model, which allows me to listen to my audiobooks or music via bluetooth. I am loving that feature. 

I think it's pretty incredible that we have this kind of improving technology. 

AND, I think you all know by now my beliefs on medical aids. If you need it, find ways to make it pretty! So I have been accessorizing my hearing aid. I have found some ear cuffs with chains to hook into a holster, plus I've made some cute little charms to wrap around the wire. Why not, right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment