Story Time: Physio Surprise!

Today is just not my day. 

So I've been having issues with my shoulder/rotator cuff/upper back/neck issue for over a year now. I've tried several things, but it wasn't until this latest physiotherapist that I was feeling any relief. 
My physiotherapist is fantastic. I'm super happy with this one. He has done laser therapy, some massage and use of the Graston tool, manual cupping, electrical cupping, and using the tens machine to stimulate the muscles with a heating pad. He checks in with me regularly and always asks if he is okay to do specific therapies even if I have done them every single appointment. Everything has gone well and I am seeing improvement! 

I go in today and he sets me up with the electrical cupping (which is just cups that also send an electrical pulse - it's very cool). 
Once that's done he asks if I am good to do this other therapy. 
I don't *actually hear* what he says. 
I assume (from the flow & itinerary of my previous appointments) it's the laser, the graston tool, the tens machine, or the manual cupping, so I instinctively (and fairly enthusiastically) agree! 

I'm lying face down on the bench, looking forward to more treatments, while he goes and grabs what he needs. 
It isn't until the moment he gets a grip of my levator scapulae muscle that I realize what he's about to do, but not before he's already started.  
It's dry needling. He wanted to try a different therapy, which involves pushing a needle into the offending muscle until it aches and involuntarily twitches. 
Well, ouch. I mean, manageable, but still really uncomfortable, especially when you're not quite expecting it. 
He then asks if he can place a second one in my trapezius muscle. 
At this point I figure why not, we've already started. 
Guys, I swear to you, he kind of "whooped"! I then told him that he was far too excited to stab me with needles, and we laughed. 

I am sore now, of course, but dry needling is supposed to be one of the most effective treatments so it's still all for my benefit. This was not, however, how I anticipated my day to go.